Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shopping at the Meharchand Market

I had recently read 2 articles, I think it was in the Hindustan Times and Time Out, Delhi extolling the virtues of Meharchand market. I was all prepared for something like Khan Market or GK1 N Block market especially given the big names of some of the shops here and its location on Lodhi Road, behind IHC.

However, once I reached, the market itself did not inspire a lot of confidence. Its difficult to find a "clean" market in Delhi, but this was worse than most. A lot of run down shops scattered in between a few new ones. This was less Hauz Khas Village and more Hauz Khas Market.

There are a few gems in this street though, if you can be patient or know exactly where to head. The big shops are to the left of the Cafe Coffee Day. If you head to the right, you will land up in the MCD Market which doesn't have much on offer at all.

CMYK is my favourite of the shops here. A bookshop started by Roli Books, it stocks all their inhouse publications - an excellent selection of Photobooks and Coffee Table books - and a few other books that aren't very easy to find in other bookshops in Delhi, that mostly cater to bestsellers. They supposedly have a terrace upstairs which I did not know when I visited, I will definitely check it out the next time I am there. The store itself is starkly furnished in black, with chairs from Pantone that are on display, lending some bright colors to the decor.


Picture from Live Mint

Crazy Daisy (2464 5087) is a fun quirky store with a lot of hand crafted gifting options. From hand painted ceramics to make up bags and wine stoppers. Its a lovely place to pick up some gifts for the slightly offbeat in your friends circle.

Appna by Nafisa Ali (2465 4441) is located on the first floor, so you will need to look a little harder for its entrance. She designs most of the clothes herself and has some trinkets designed by her friends. Sizes range from XS to XXXL. It is a small boutique, so don't expect to find a lot to choose from. Because there are a few select designs in the standard sizes. But the qulaity of embroidery is very good and the designs are very wearable

Soma (2462 7046) is well known for its hand block printed clothes and furnishings. This is their only other outlet in Delhi, if you don't want to head all the way to CP.

Karigari is a furniture shop with a mix of modern and antique looking furniture. Some items were reasonably priced while some were more expensive, depending on the wood.

I did not step into Ochre or Tantra (t-shirts) as I was a little pressed for time, but I think I will stop here again the next time I head to Jor Bagh market for meat and explore just a little more.

To grab a bite, there is the Cafe Coffee Day and I think I also spied a Slice of Italy Outlet. I did not however check out if there was a sit-down option or it was only for takeaway and deliveries.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis